Saturday, April 28, 2007

This weeks Birth

Was quite a surprise! We weren't expecting this baby for 3 1/2 weeks! So, when the mom called to tell me her water had broke, I was excited but a little ambivalent...

I got a call at 11pm from "H" saying that she had been sitting there sewing when she felt a gush of water. I asked all the usual questions etc., and told her to give me a call when her contractions started up. As I waited for her call I really started to have some mixed feelings. This baby was about to be born at 36 weeks 4 days and I thought that I should take the time to talk this couple about the possible risks if we were to stay at home. The next time I spoke with "H" I told her of some of my concerns and reassured her that if they decided to birth in the hospital that I would go with them and stay for the duration. "H" began to cry and said that she really didn't want to go but, didn't really commit either way. So, I told her to talk about it with her partner and that ultimately it was her call. Finally, at 1:30a Dad called and said that they wanted me to head out.

When I arrived at the house the energy felt really good. "H" was in active labor and seemed to be handling everything beautifully. I sat down with them, checked heart tones and lent some energy through a few contractions. I talked to them once more about staying home or going to the hospital and told them that I was there for the long haul regardless. The house was dark so I laid down on the bed next to "H", I gently stroked her back and breathed with her during contractions. At about 2:45a I heard this loud voice in my head say, "TRUST IN BIRTH". At that point, I committed to staying, so I got up and went in the kitchen to put my equipment on to boil. As I came around the corner Dad said very calm and sweet, "Mountain, the head is coming out". So, I got my pen light to take a look and sure enough the baby was crowning. Everything, just felt so calm and peaceful. I put on my gloves and sat down on the bed next to them. "H" was very conscience of her body and controlled the birth of the baby's head gently. Then with 2 small pushes birthed the rest of her baby. She was small but pink and perfect. Their little girl weighed 6lbs. 1 oz. What a blessing!

No comments: