Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The journey begins

So, I sent my mother in law an email that said many things including that I started dreadlocks. She said that her family was very conservative especially with hair and that none of them will like the dreadlocks. She did say that it was my hair to do with as I please....

So, the journey begins. Strange how we have to start with our families isn't it? On thanksgiving I had a conversation with Jesse's grandma about being different or looking different and why some people choose to do so. I tried to talk to her about our prejudices and how being different on the outside forces people into facing these prejudices.

Having dreads is one way that I want to buck the system. It is another way that I can look Babylon in the face and say "I am done! I am done trying to conform to your outrageous beauty standards! I done trying to fit into a culture that will not accept me for who I am." And then I will walk into a persons home and be likable. Down right kind and likable. I will make people look at our culture and what it says to them about what beauty is and maybe just maybe they will begin to question what beauty really looks like.

Why are dreads such an abomination to the white people? Is it because black people do this to their hair? Is it possible that the white persons repulsion of dreads could be a racist response? Can you imagine? Could it be possible that black hair is beautiful too? Even if it's on a white girl?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I think it's just a quality of the hair. I've seen dreds on black people and they look really cool. Maybe their hair is so wirey it kind of 'tames' it, and it seems as though it's a really unique part of their culture. Love it.

Unfortunately, on white people it just comes off looking like the person hasn't showered in weeks. :/ Seriously, it looks hideous and unclean. On one girl I could've sworn I expected to see mice peeking out or something. I've never seen someone able to pull it off and they just wind up looking like a wannabe, as much a 'follower' as those people subscribing to traditional beauty standards.

There's also the question of professionalism. Here in Canada, if a health professional such as a midwife walked into my place looking unprofessional, I'd have my doubts about her. I've had midwives who had pink hair and crewcuts, too! It's just a matter of appearing clean, well-kept and professional. If you can make dreds work within that, go for it.

Anonymous said...

Well...dreads are dramatic and they're easy. On the other hand I've had one too many people who used to have dreads tell me they found bugs in their dreads when they cut them open.
So...no thanks.

I've also spent one to many times untangling almost-mads from my own hair to see the appeal.

You want them? Have fun.

Question said...

Sounds like fun! One thing- politically speaking- is that the term 'dreads' comes from the word 'dreadful' as in, kinky hair being dreadful hair. For this reason, among my circle, we just like to call them 'locks'.
-Rachel, homebirth midwife, nyc