Sunday, August 5, 2007

And yet another fabulous question

Another Blog read asked "Are you a lay midwife or a CPM and where did you study"

I am a lay midwife. I did a traditional apprenticeship with a Senior midwife in my area. In the state in which I reside midwives are unregulated so the CPM certification is of no legal use. I have considered the NARM certification route but, decided to stick with what I believe in which is lay midwifery. Birth is not a medical event, it is a normal, natural, life experience that should be treated as such. It used to be that the grandmas, aunts, sisters and friends would gather around the laboring woman and lend her strength during her birth. These more experienced women would midwife for other women in their tribes or villages. It was an art and a duty for them. I want to bring back this feeling of sisterhood into birth. I am trying very hard to educate women about the normalcy of birth and do not see myself as an authority figure or a "professional". Rather, I see myself as a friend, a sister... an artist.

3 comments:

Red Pomegranate said...

I both envy and respect you for your choice to be a proud lay midwife. There is a part of me that just worries that if I were to do a straight apprenticeship I'd "miss" something I'd get from a direct entry school or other more traditional means of education (though of course, you could argue that apprenticeship is as traditional as it gets!). Does this mean I trust birth less? Does it mean I trust myself less? You raise interesting questions for me. Thanks you for this post.

The Rogue Midwife said...

My dearest sister pomegranate,
Thank you! I honor you and empower you to follow your hearts path!

Dark Daughta said...

I'm thankful for the ease with which you speak of your belief in homebirth, traditional midwifery and the power of birthing wimmin. Mountain, where do you go when you want to be stimulated as you stimulate and embolden others? Do you have conversations with birth guardians who "get it", who want to learn more and do nore? Where do you find sistership with other rogues planning birthing revolutions? Cuz I'd like to be a fly on that wall. :)