Monday, August 6, 2007

First time Moms

Why do most doctors and midwives fear the first time Mom so much? I'll tell you why...it's because they assume that they can't give birth. They assume that their bodies are flawed and they need these new mothers to prove their pelvis. Just typing that sounds funny. You know if we put their uterus in a court of law, it would be the courts burden to prove the uterus unfit. So why, oh why, do we have the burden of proving our uterus is normal, useful and capable of giving birth to doctors? At what point did these medical professions become the judge, jury, and executioners of womens bodies?

I have talked to many first time Moms about birth. I have attended many births of first time mothers and I just love it! It is really wonderful to see a woman empowered by birth! First time moms are excellent home birth candidates because they don't need the deprogramming that most previous hospital birthers need. Experiencing a birth for the first time is an amazing experience and being a part of that energy is such a blessing!

3 comments:

LaborPayne said...

First time moms don't need deprogramming? - well, maybe. They are subject to and greatly influenced by the bad birth stories of others.
I thought docs and mws didn't like first timers for their slow deliveries...
Sounds like first timers should be as wary of their docs as their docs are of them

Housefairy said...

I love when a woman is going to have a homebirth for her first. It blows my mind, and it shouldnt. I am in awe and jealous and hopeful that more and more women will come to homebirth WITHOUT it being reactionary (against a negative hops. experience), you know?

I also think there are more husbands and partners that need deprogramming/support skills training than anyone else!

Anonymous said...

You know, I actually wanted a homebirth for my first baby. I wonder what really happened. I said it outloud to my father in law, he said that was unsafe. He's not my favorite person, so it couldn't have been HIS input. I wonder why I didn't. My life would certainly have been different had I done it. I've had 5 total in the hospital, and one D&E for a 16 week missed miscarriage...which I would have rather had induced so I could have held my baby. I bet that would have been my only "hospital" birth...

Blessings!
Dawn