Friday, August 31, 2007

Undercover midwife...

Today, I was at the W.I.C. office, just sitting there minding my own business, not looking (ok maybe subconsciously) for a reason to undermine the medical establishment. When this sweet young woman looked right at me and said, "does it hurt to give birth?" It is so hard to answer that question but, I am really glad that she asked me. I sat and talked with her about natural birth, pain, water birth, epidural, freedom of movement, everything she wanted to know. Another older woman chimed in with her birth experience and even said that she would NEVER recommend an epidural to anyone. I think that we may have actually made an impact on this young woman! I did not ever reveal to either of them that I am a midwife. I really wanted her to hear me as a peer rather than an authority on the subject. I am so happy to have had this positive experience!

I have dreamed of starting a pregnancy support and information organization akin to places like the crisis pregnancy center, without the crisis part....and without any religious affiliation. I think that our community needs a natural family living center where families can get information on all things parenting and pregnancy. Now, if I could just come into that inheritance or that winning lottery number....

No comments: